Thread: Port Placement
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #37
Pray

Re: Port Placement

Hi Pat,

You sound a lot like the way I was while I was going through the whole hair thing.

My 22 year old son said when it came time to shave my hair he would do it. (We already had a shaver that he used.) When the time came he started to shave my head and it was very hard for him. He had tears in his eyes and knew I had been in pain and said I don't want to cause you any more pain. He hugged me and we sat for a while and talked. He had to leave for school and my 27 year old daughter came over and took me to a salon where they have private rooms. There my daughter and I cried as the hair dresser shaved my head. My daughter and I do not look a lot a like except our hair!

The hair dresser brought in many wigs to try on and my daughter and I started to have fun with it and laughed our selves silly! I walked out with a wig (400 dollars). I was way to self consious to go any where with out a wig on ever. My husband never saw me with out a night cap or wig on. I receive Botox shots for migraines and my neurologist was the only one who ever saw me bald. He is a very wonderful dr. I have known him a long time. when I told him I had cancer he teared up quickly and was very shocked. He pulled up a chair quickly held my hands and told me how sorry he was for me. He said he would always be there for me and he was.

I highly recommend a cooling cap to wear under your wig. I also tried halo wigs with
hats but I was to afraid the hat would come off. If you choose to have a wig, wig shampoo works very well and shine spray helps your wig keep from getting dull looking a pic helps a lot also.

I never did do scarfs. (I've never been a hat or scarf person.)

You will do what ever makes you feel comfortable.

I'm a very modest woman and I was embaressed to let anyone know that I had cancer or that I was bald.

TLC has a great wed site and catalog where you can find wigs cheaper, scarfs, hats, cooling caps, mast. bras you name it. I did not know about them until I already bought the wig!

Good luck shopping I hope It goes well for you! I recommend taking someone with you.

You can never have to many questions to ask. That is what all of your sisters and brothers are here for.

Gods blessings to you and your family.

Your Friend,

Nancy
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote