Thread: Port Placement
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #31
patz64

Re: Port Placement

Hi Lisa and Bonnie, and everyone else!

The port is already less painful than it was this morning, but it still feels weird. I can't wait until I don't even notice it! I see my oncologist next week to go over my test results (bone scan, CT scans, echo), and I guess that's when he will tell me when I am starting chemo...I'm guessing the following week.
I'm not as brave when it comes to the head shaving. Anyway, i need to go pick out a wig and some hats and scarves first! Then i will probably wait until the first sign of hairloss, and then have a friend come over and do it with me. It's going to be weird.
As for the chemo reactions, I just get nervous, because in August I had my bilateral mastectomy, and reconstruction, and I had complications that landed me in ICU. I was in critical condition, on a ventilator for 8 days. It was totally unexpected. I am a pretty fit person (have done a few triathlons, and love to run and bike). Anyway, ever since then, I am scared of even the weirdest possible side effects. When I had checked in for my surgery, they asked if I had a living will, and I said no, and in my head was thinking I should work on that someday, but it didn't seem to be a concern for a fairly routine surgery. Less than a week later I'm laying in ICU with a feeding tube, and a ventilator....it made me realize that anything can happen at any time. In a lot of ways it changed me for the better. i was already a person with strong faith, but that made it even stronger (pulling through). Anyway, I'm nervous about side effects, and I'm also nervous about how I will react to my hair loss, even though I'm trying to be prepared for it. I am sure I'll be ok, but it is a little scary. This whole cancer journey has been weird...good, bad, and emotional!
Thanks for all the support. i will continue to check in here, and keep everyone updated. Now i will work on my photo and my signature info!
Pat
patz64 is offline   Reply With Quote