View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
Debbie L.

Re: aromatase inhibitors

Freyda,

Good luck with the switch. There was a study that showed about 50% of women who tried switching from one AI to another found relief. And it was the switch itself, not one particular AI-or-the-other, that seemed to make the difference. Once again, we're reminded that each body is different.

Since you don't way what your side effects were, it's a little hard to advise. But if it's the usual . . .

Have you tried supplementing with Vitamin D? I know several women who noted a drastic decrease in pain when they began supplementing. Alas, I do not know (nor does anyone) how much you should take -- but you could try a few thousand IUs to start and see what happens.

And if that doesn't work, there's Tamoxifen, which is much less likely to cause the "musculoskeletal" pain although it does have its own issues.

Ginny, I'm really curious about your statement that you "failed to respond" to Tamoxifen. It looks to me like you took it when you were NED so how could you know you failed to respond? Maybe I'm missing something.

Although there was much interest in testing for CYP2D6 mutations based on the theory that some people didn't metabolize Tamoxifen properly, there was pretty convincing evidence presented at the last SABCS (or was it the one before?) that there is no correlation, and I think most docs have let this idea go (if they ever signed on at all).

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote