View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
chekmark

Re: Surgery Friday...any advice?

Denise, I want to add something. We all understand your tears today. Cancer takes so much away from us but it will never take away your heart. It leaves us bald and disfigured and that is so much for an individual to deal with. My surgeon and my oncologist did not agree on a mastectomy, my surgeon said I only needed a reincision my oncologist wanted me to get a mastectomy. I still think about that alot and wonder but I cannot go back so I find that I tell myself that I did not lose a breast but the cancer inside of it and the tissue surrounding it. When it is all done and over with you will still have the same skin that was there before and it will look good. You will still be the same person you are now but without cancer. I remember you needing a pep talk and saying that you want to watch your kids graduate and get married. You will be able to do all of those things. Cry all you want but try not to look back after tomorrow it will tear you apart. I try so much not to wonder what if I had not done the mastectomy but I know that my oncologist is one trying to save my life and went with her recommendation. I wish I had immediate reconstruction but she also wanted me to wait until I was done with herceptin. I don't know why she just said that she did not want anything to interfere with herceptin but from what I know it doesn't at all. I will be looking forward to your post surgery post and hearing how it went. I know that you will breeze thru it. You have a loving husband (and quite good looking I might add) and children, who will still see you as there mother and wife. You have a strong faith. I know that you are praying every chance that you get. I will be too. You have touched me with your posts and I am your own personal cheering section. God bless you and please keep us posted. Darlene
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote