View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #31
jml

Re: Liver Resection Surgery

Hi CB~
I've been thinking about you lots and will continue to do so with lots of prayers & love & energy coming your way the next few days.
If I remember correctly, I went from the OR to overnight in CCU, then that 1st morning was moved to the regular floor. I was lucky to have a great room with a view - my friend, a PT at the hospital, told me which wing to request
The first 36-48 hrs you'll likely be most comfortable staying in the hospital gown - outside of walking a little bit as much as you can, when you can, youre probably going to be really tired and sleeping lots. I remember being too tired to read, watch tv or even focus on visitors.
I think if you bring some options, like pj bottoms, cozy sweat pants & a men's or boys pj top that buttons down the front might work? I wore lots of thin tank tops (instead of bras) under soft, cozy t-shirts or a favorite cardigan sweater.
I was pretty bloated & gassy, so there's that discomfort. I remember hearing these gurgling, creaking sounds from my belly- kind of like a sunken ship shifting under water. I know, weird, but that's what it sounded like to me! And then there's the incision pain and dressings to be changed that may weep a little on your clothes.
And ofcourse there are all the IV's - a couple of different lines from your arm, and I had a triple lumen central line in my neck. I don't think any of those were dc'd until the day I left the hospital to go home.
A "NO STICKS/NO BP's" sign is a really good idea. Seems like the nurses & MA's always want to go straight for my L side.I always write on my arm myself before any procedure.
Becky had great suggestions about meds & when to dose. Remember to stay ahead of the pain, especially if you're anticipating moving, like to get to the car or get out when you get home.
I do remember when I made it home, as soon as I opened my eyes in the morning, I would ask my Mom for pain meds, lie quietly to give them a chance to kick in, then I could manage to get up and start moving around.
It sounds like a lot CB, but you can do it. You'll get through it, and every day you'll get a little stronger & will be back on your feet in no time.
Know that we are all here, sending you healing energy, love & light, and will look forward to hearing an update from you as soon as you feel able.
Try and relax. You will be well monitored and cared for, so you can focus on healing.

Keep the Faith~

Jessica<3
jml is offline   Reply With Quote