View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
ammebarb

Re: Laurel and other Pennsylvania gals...

Hi Becky. I'm glad to hear you are ok, despite some inconvenience with the loss of electricity. We are also fine, but there has been a lot of loss in out area. We are located in north central Pennsylvania where rains from Lee pounded us for days. I live in a very small rural village, with no river, but a creek that became a raging torrent. A number of buildings were swept away. A few were summer cottages, but the tally included at least two full time homes. There are only about four major highways through the county---all were badly affected, with buckling and broken asphalt lying in chunks on deeply gouged highway beds. Bridges are gone or so badly undermined that they are dangerous and therefore, closed. For a while we were essentially "cut off" but some temporary runarounds and some all night work on a local bridge has given us a chance at getting to medical care, gasoline, food, etc. We took my daughter on a very long, circuitous route to the hospital where she works, so that she knows how to get there tomorrow. It's normally about a 40 minute drive. It took us two hours.

On a better note----she was married yesterday in a lovely civil ceremony in our little village. A local mayor filled in for the district magistrate who was stranded in Harrisburg. Her brother brought her flowers from a shop about twenty miles away (from a town that had been flooded)! Her sister in law did her hair and I did her nails. Dear friends decorated their beautiful barn to give a lovely backdrop for the ceremony, when the covered bridge that was supposed to be the wedding site was hit by a floating cabin and the road was flooded and closed. We had a meal at our home, by way of celebration. The reception will take place at a later time. It was heartwarming to see love finding a way!

Hope any other of our HER2 family who were affected are safe and finding help and comfort.
ammebarb is offline   Reply With Quote