View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Barbara2

Support group advice

I have a friend who has asked me to help her start a breast cancer support group here in our little community of about 2,500 people. Our nearest support group is about 40 miles away.

I am wondering how many people who visit Her2+ Support, also attend a support group in their community. I will be willing to help her get this started, but I really wonder if I would care to attend. (BTW, she also has Her2+ breast cancer, but has never cared to research or go to this website.)

When finishing chemo in 2003, I started searching the internet for info on this Her2+ breast cancer that falls into the 25% bracket of breast cancer. I knew it was unique and wanted to find out as much as I could about this type of cancer. I eventually found this site, which I believe may have had a different name at the time. I have never felt I needed any more of a group-type support than what was found here at the Her+ Support site. It gave me everything I needed. Knowledge, advice, friendships, courage, hope…and the list goes on and on. (THANK YOU, CHRISTINE and of course JOE)

I don’t know much about the local support groups; what the meetings consist of, etc. and maybe the friendships that are established would make it a good option. If you have any thoughts/experiences, I would appreciate hearing what you think.

Thanks!

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.

Last edited by Barbara2; 08-22-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote