View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #19
KirisMum

Re: HER2 learning more is it a bad thing?

You might have to go farther afield for a second opinion - not sure how good an idea it is to stick with the same practice. I'm not sure where the nearest major cancer center to Wichita is - I'm in the NorthEast, but maybe others on the board here can suggest some place. The University of Kansas hospital in Kansas City seems like a good bet.

If several competent oncologists agree that your tumor does not warrant treatment with Herceptin, I think you have to trust their opinion. They are all trying to balance potential harm from side effects against the risk that your tumor will come back.

You might want to look into getting into a clinical trial somewhere. Treatment is usually free, and you are contributing to research about unknown factors. There's a section here on the board about clinical trials.

I feel for you--the fear of recurrence is awful. I am dealing with that now regarding my daughter, who is doing fine, but I am up most nights waiting for the other shoe to drop. But you can't let your (understandable and normal) fear cloud your intellectual judgment. Hopefully talking to some experts will ease your fears.

Let us know what Dr. Reddy says.
KirisMum is offline   Reply With Quote