View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Becky

Re: More than 1 type Triple Neg & Her2+++

Wow - that is surprising but the same thing happened to my cousin who had 3 tumors in one breast (but also had a bilateral). Two tumors were the same - both moderately ER+Pr+ but the third tumor was ER+Pr-. Neither was Her2.

I also want to add that since I was diagnosed so was my cousin (above), my mother and my sister (dcis - high grade). All of us were BRCA tested and were negative.

Is it a fluke? I think not. Is it a gene that was not discovered yet. Maybe but maybe not but it could be something genetic or metabolic (which of course is genetic). For example, all of us had extremely low vitamin D readings at diagnosis. My cousin and mother were so low (0 - yea, zero) that they had an IV drip and then took the 50,000 iu pills. Two years ago, my oldest daughter had a physical and her doctor called her to tell her that her vitamin D level was only 8 and put her on a prescription and she takes 4000iu a day now and is well in the normal range. I take 4000iu a day (summer and winter) and just got my reading of 46 (normal is 32-100) so even taking alot, I am not at the upper end. Is this our problem metabolically? Maybe it is, maybe not.

All in all, disease results on how our genetics interplay with the environment. Even some BRCA+ women don't get breast or ovarian cancer. Stats for bc if BRCA 1 are 80% and BRCA 2 is 60%. So, who knows. Also, family members are raised together, experience the same environment while growing up (a critical time in development), have the same culture and likes/dislikes of the same foods. We will never know why. I am like you in a way in that I hope it is not a BRCA 3 or 4 or 5 as it will affect my kids. Right now, I am dosing them with vitamin D just because it is a problem but it may not be the problem.

My heart is with you and your sister. I always think about you Sheila.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote