Thread: Reconstruction
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #27
vlcarr

Re: Reconstruction

Just wanted to share that I'm 6 weeks out from DIEP on my right breast. My surgeon wanted me to wait a year from radiation before seeking recon. I must say that at the time I really thought I would not even be interested, but changed my mind during the year waiting period.

My remaining breast is not huge but is large enough that the fake one I had to wear really bothered me. It was hot and heavy in order to match my other breast. I also had a caved in area in my chest so it really impacted what I could wear and I decided I wanted it fixed.

I am extremely happy I decided to do DIEP. I was in the hospital for 6 days, around 3 in ICU. The first 24 hours they came in every hour on the hour and listened for a "pulse" in the transplanted tissue. I was so happy it lived. The recovery wasn't a cake walk but doable. In addition, the bread basket all the women in my family have is gone! My surgeon did a wonderful job. I will have another outpatient surgery in 3 months to lift the left breast and make them match a little better. My surgeon said they would be sisters, not twins, but the outcome so far is much better than what I expected.

I was also concerned because I have lymphedema--it didn't make it any worse. Too bad that can't fix that with surgery. I haven't posted in a while but wanted to share this since I'm only 6 weeks post surgery. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Wishing you the best in making your decision.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote