View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 04:36 AM   #6
Camila

Re: Epstein-Barr virus in breast cancer tissue and resistance to paclitaxel

Hi

My name is Camila and I joined the forum last night after months of sitting around in a "treatment haze" and trying to find some answers. Briefly, I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome in 2002 after a virus which was never identified, developed serious osteoarthritis over the next couple of years resulting in numerous joint replacements and surgeries and with HER2 3+++, oestrogen 2+ early BC with extensive vascular & 1 + lymph node late 2010. 2X lumpectomies then AC/taxol chemo X 8 and 2 doses herceptin now 30X radiation as treatment. Prior to herceptin my EF was 45% and my onc. still recommended herceptin (I did try to question him but was told it was OK). After only 2 infusions my EF dropped to 25% and I went into heart failure - very scary experience. Am now on numerous heart meds. and my cardiologist has told me after doing an echo. that I actually had viral cardiomyopathy BEFORE I had the herceptin. I saw a cardiologist 18mths before BC diagnosis with erratic heartbeat and always claimed the CFS virus had affected me, but no-one seems to believe me, although no-one can identify where the so-called viral cardiomyopathy came from. Needless to say, my not-so-subtle onc. has told me to "just get on the heart transplant queue" if I ever have any more doses of herceptin. I am feeling bitter with the medical profession and am devastated with no more herceptin. I agree with what you are saying about viruses. I was a very fit and healthy person until I got the virus, now I have severe arthritis, CFS, cancer and a weak heart. I am a "glass half full" person, but am finding it harder by the day and have been really down since being refused herceptin. You all sound like such an incredibly positive and loving group of ladies - thankyou so much for listening.
Camila is offline   Reply With Quote