View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Sandra in GA

Re: Understanding Blood Tests

The CA 15-3 test is the one my oncologist is using. It is a cancer antigen serum test. It does not measure the amount of cancer cells in the body. It measures the body's reaction to the presence of these cells. The normal range is 0 - 29.9. My readings have been falling between 16 and 18 and are well within the normal range. I just returned from my first six month check-up and the latest reading was 17.3. The one in Dec. was 16. Even though there was a slight increase, my doctor was not concerned. Other factors such as inflammation in the body can also cause an increase in this test.

As I understand it, the HER2 serum test measures the amount of HER2 cells in circulation in the body. There are members of this board that are having this and I am sure they will help you with more information.

Good luck with you care and with completing your Herceptin. Since I found my lump July 2008, this last exam (including neg CAT scans and other blood work) confirmed for me that I am three years out and NED! I wish that for you!

Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote