View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
hutchibk

Re: Abortion/breast cancer linked

When I see conclusions to studies and researchers stating that "These findings suggest that age and induced abortion were found to be significantly associated with increased breast cancer risk" and "Daling studies from '94 and '96 showed between a 20 and 50 percent increased breast cancer risk for women having abortions compare to those who carried their pregnancies to term" and "Dolle’s team reported in Table 1 a statistically significant 40% risk increase for women who have had abortions and listed it among “known and suspected risk factors" and a researcher from the NCI recanting a previous pronouncement and stating there is a known risk factor... ~ I personally can't write it off or down play it to protect a philosophy or avoid philosophical differences. As I said in the initial post, I didn't post this to create any political or philosophical debates. I posted it to share even further info about an avoidable risk factor.

Aren't we preached to day in and day out these days to personally practice preventative medicine to stay as healthy and dire diagnosis free as possible? That to me includes sharing ALL of the known risk factors that can lead to a disease. One key is knowing all of the avoidable risks. If not having an abortion is a way to avoid a risk, then I would say girls, young ladies and women need to know about it.

Considering the 'often noted' risk factors... being over ideal weight, conventional hormone injected diet, no regular exercise, excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, exposure to estrogen, stress and anxiety, age, family history, no pregnancies or breastfeeding, DES esposure... then I had the conventional diet, lack of exercise, extra exposure to estrogen and no pregnancies risk factors, and I don't know about DES exposure, but I suspect it was entirely possible, being born in 1959. Add those together and I am definitely in a higher risk category. And my onc agrees.

I am betting that most of us didn't know much about conventional dietary concerns much before diagnosis, or the risks of dietary estrogens that we probably consumed tons of unknowingly, or that our bodies are programed to have a child and breastfeed before we are 30, or that we needed to continue exercising regularly beyond our teens/early 20s, or the ramifications of partying in college and/or drinking 2-3 glasses of wine 3-4 days a week... that all of these things added together would increase our risks of one day being dxed w/ breast cancer. And there is no guarantee that being extremely smart and knowledgeable about everything that is a risk factor and avoiding every single one of them will protect us from ever getting a diagnosis... but then why follow through with BRCA testing. Not everyone who is BRCA positive gets breast cancer. And not everyone who smokes their whole life gets lung cancer. And not everyone who gets lung cancer ever smoked. So then, why even tell folks about the risk factors?

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 06-18-2011 at 09:23 AM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote