View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
Louise O'Brien

Re: Decision Time - Need Advice

Checkmark: I did the same thing you did - chose to have a mastectomy of one breast over a lumpectomy. The one thing you should try not to do is second guess yourself. After I found out I was HER2 positive, I was happy I made the decision I did.

I always say that was the right decision for me - but I respect the fact that everyone has to make the decision they're most comfortable with.

I found though, both through my experience and that of my friend, that the oncologists were the ones whose advice I depended on. Not the surgeons. The oncologists are the ones who are up to date on the studies, statistics and treatment options and they also have the figures on recurrence.

I had reconstruction surgery (Diep flap) three years ago but the plastic surgeon suggested I wait six months after treatment. And I had a reduction on the remaining good breast.

There are big changes though when it comes to reconstruction surgery now and more choices than when I went through it just a while ago.

Try, if you can, not to agonize over the decisions you made. You felt it was the right decision for you at the time and you shouldn't look back.
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote