View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
snolan

Re: Decision Time - Need Advice

I was origonally dx with DCIS, had to have a mast due to the area that was involved thats when they found the HER2+ stage I. I elected from the start to have a bilat mast so I would decrease my risks of having to go through this again. I chose to have reconstruction with it with expanders. Unfortunalty after surgery they determined that the DCIS was too close to the skin and I would need radiation. My plastic surgeon recommended taking the expander out on that side but my radiologist recommended to leave it in. When the drains were pulled it got infected and they had to take it out anyway. I too am young 41 and still want to have breasts. I will be having the muscle from my lattissimus muscle instead of stomach transfered. I still get to have the other side done with the implant as it had no problems. Like the other ladies stated you have to go with what you feel is right for you. I have met a lot of people who have elected different things and each had their own reasons for doing it. There is no wrong descision as long as you are healthy. I don't look forward to the reconstruction surgery but know in the long run I will love having breasts and thats what is right for me. Hope this helps, and good luck.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote