Thread: Can't Sleep!
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Debbie L.

Re: Can't Sleep!

Joyce, is she taking steroids (decadron) still? They are the worst, for messing up sleep.

I don't know if it works for all sleep issues, but when I'm wakeful, I've had great success with listening to audiobooks. For example, in those wee hours when the brain begins to churn, instead of going with that -- I put in my earbuds and begin to concentrate on whatever story I'm currently listening to -- and next thing I know, I'm waking up. One night, I might just need this crutch once. Or on another night, many times. But even on the occasions when I don't fall right to sleep, I am able to relax and enjoy hearing the stories (as opposed to fretting because I'm not sleeping). It's best if they are reasonably-interesting but relatively "light" stories, because they have to hold my interest (not let my thoughts kick in) until I'm asleep.

I get my audiobooks from "booksfree" (which is a misnomer, they are not free). They send me "rental" books (CDs or MP3s), I download them and transfer them to my iPod, send them back, they send me more. Etc. They are also excellent for long drives. Or even boring housework chores.

There are no side effects (that I know of), but this sleep aid IS somewhat addicting.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote