View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 04:53 AM   #7
sarah

Re: Getting HOSED by my health plan - anyone else?

Oh Stephanie,
so sorry you're having insurance problems, worrying about paying for your health really sucks. Hopefully Brenda's advice will help you.
Do you have someone who can check the different possibilities out for you so that you don't have to deal with this yourself? A son or daughter or best friend or husband?
I remember in the US the first time I was diagnosed with cancer and I called my great insurance company (we were working and could afford excellent insurance), I got off the phone in tears because of course there were so many loopholes. My husband told me that was the last call I was making to the insurance people, paying would be his concern, not mine. worrying about money when your health is at stake makes me sick. I definitely couldn't handle the money and my health.
I do think Stephanie that there may be someone at the US social services that could advice you as well - your hospital will have a social service person who can help also. The hospital social services helped me with my mother's medicare (in NY) when she had a problem. Unfortunately you have to know where to turn for help. Also sometimes the hospitals have a service to help those who can't pay or are elderly and not working, so do ask for their help. St. John's Hospital in LA has an association with a group called "Healthy Living" that is a pay as you can outfit where the tests are done at St John's but through this non-profit association but if you don't know about it, you don't know where to turn. My husband suggests (in America) always going to a St. hospital, they seem to more compassionate!!! Not sure he's right but...
I feel so lucky living and being treated here in France where health is valued over profit and the more serious the disease, the better the coverage. Cancer is covered 100%, a cold 60%!!
Good luck and stay focused on your health and have someone else check into the solutions for insurance and payment. Maybe ask the people at breastcancer.org also since they are a much bigger group.
Hope the tests are good.
hugs and love
sarah