View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
ginnyg898

Unhappy DCIS Means More Surgery

Hi All:

I had a lumpectomy and a sentinal node biopsy on February 16th. The pathology report came back a week later and my surgeon said I had a 'complete pathilogical response' from the neo-adjuvant chemo and he indicated that they got clean margins but he also indicated that they found some ADH and DCIS. He said it was nothing to worry about and that he was thrilled with the results. I was so relieved and made plans to start radiation and get on with my life.

Well, yesterday my surgeon called me and said that the pathology board had reviewed my results and that they have some concerns about some DCIS found near the margins and they recommend another surgery. He said it was too early to speculate, but the possibility exists that if they fail to get clean margins from this next surgery and that we may need to consider a mastectomy. He indicated that since I have already had BC my risk of the ADH/DCIS turning into another tumor is elevated. My next sugery is this Monday.

I had gotten to a place where I was in sight of the end of treatment and now I feel like I am right back to where I was prior to the first surgery. I am scared of what they are going to find and worried that I will have to fight this battle for the rest of my life.

I would love to hear from those of you that have dealt with DCIS and what your experiences have been.

Thank you all for giving me a place to vent...
ER+/PR-/HER2+
2.2cm tumor/Stage 2A
No node involvement
Tested negative for BRCA 1/2
Participated in a UCLA clinical trial testing TCH and/or Lapatinib in stage 1/2/3 bc patients that can be removed by surgery.
Underwent neo-adjuvant therapy to shrink tumor prior to surgery.
1st Surgery date: 2/16/11
Pathology report indicated ADH/DCIS in margin.
2nd Surgery: 3/21/11
Clean margins!
Started radiation: 4/11/11
Completed radiation: 7/8/11
1st post-surgical mammogram: 8/16/11 - CLEAR!
6 Weeks of Tamoxifen - Failure to Respond
Started Lupron/Arimidex: 8/29/11
Herceptin until September '11

Recurrence - August 2018
Same profile - ER+/PR-/HER2+
Undergoing neo-adjuvant therapy prior to surgery;
Gemzar, Carboplatin, Herceptin & Perjeta
Chemo through the end of 2018...
ginnyg898 is offline   Reply With Quote