View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Becky

Re: HERA 4 year results article with...when results of 2 yrs of herceptin may come o

Well - if it is dramatically better, they may let those on it continue and those who are done go back to the cancer center and get more (depending on how far out you are from the last Herceptin). What I mean by that is if you are already a couple of years out from your last Herceptin, it probably won't do any good to return for more. They will probably have a rule.

For example, when Herceptin was first available, at first they allowed women less than 6 months from their last chemotherapy to return and get Herceptin. This is how I got my Herceptin (being about 3.5 months from my last chemo). By the time I got my echo and started (at about 4+ months out), they already changed the protocol to women 1 year or less from the last chemo. No sooner than that, they changed it once again to 2 years or less from the last chemo. Some women on this board even got Herceptin at 2.5 years out but that was about it.

So, if results are dramatic, there will be rules about more (which is important to note if insurance pays for your Herceptin).

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote