View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Barbara2

Re: Lower back soreness for two weeks - should I request a bone scan?

I've done the same thing, Tricia, with requesting tests; often probably sooner than necessary, but I wanted peace of mind or to find out what was going on. It's so hard to wait and worry, wait and worry. All of us know all about that.

I'm glad you got some relief, bejuce. The ache is probably more worrysome than painful and the worrying likely makes the pain even more noticable. I often have an ache similar to what you are describing, and I've finally concluded that it must be muscular. I do have sciatica flairups too, but that is different than this.

The ache can be on both sides (towards top of buttocks) or on one side. Because I now realize that this ache continues to show up now and then, I don't fret about it like I used to. Today when using the tredmill, the ache started up on the right side, but went away before I was finished walking. Whenever it sticks around for a longer time, I've learned to take Motrin (or whatever) and faithfully use the heating pad at night.

You may want to use it for several nights, too, until the ache decides to give you a break for a while. There's something about that gentle heat that seems to make muscles feel better.

Oh! Another favorite that I use on aches, are the sticky patches you can buy that are applied to the sore area. I usually buy them at Wal-Mart; on the box it says for "temporary relief of minor aches and pains of muscles and joints." My husband loves them too; they work fairly quickly and are effective.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote