View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #30
NanaJoni

Re: To treat or not to treat VERY early stage HER2 IDC

I can't answer any questions on Tamoxifen since I'm er-/pr- but I did 4 treatments of TCH (taxotere/carboplatin/Herceptin) and am now doing Herceptin alone. It sounds like you will need to push your insurance company if you feel you need to do chemo + Herceptin. If they won't pay for the chemo, then there are several programs that can help with the costs. My treatment center offered to help with applying for those at my "teaching session" before I started chemo. We are very blessed in that we could take care of the difference that the insurance didn't pay but it's wonderful help for so many folks. My center also has "patient navigators" who are nurse practitioners and just help you coordinate appts, understanding all the new and scary things that are happening, etc. My onc, radiologist and the navigator meet as a team (and I can join them if I want) just to be sure everyone is on the same page and that we all have the same info as we go along. It's a great program. Your stage is the same as mine and I had chemo. The difference is probably that I had the second tumor that was triple negative and chemo is pretty much the only weapon to use on that kind of cancer. You have in your signature "grade 2" and also "grade 3"? Grade 3 would mean a more aggressive cell type which combined with HER2 positivity might be reason enough to ask for the chemo. Hopefully, you'll have more clarity after the appt tomorrow.
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote