View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #28
musicmama

Re: To treat or not to treat VERY early stage HER2 IDC

Hi everyone,

Here's the report on my first trip to the oncologist.

She offered me everything from just taking Tamoxifen to Tamoxifen + Herceptin to full blown Chemo, Herceptin and Tamoxifen although she was clear that our insurance may not pay for anything but the Tamoxifen. If choosing the chemo option she seemed to be recommending Taxol+Herceptin for 12 weeks and then following with Herceptin every three weeks for the rest of the year.

She wasn't really making recommendations per se...she did say that if it were her she wouldn't do "nothing" for whatever that's worth.

So...I'm more confused than ever.

Can any of you give me clarity on the Tamoxifen - HER2+ issues? I have read in various places that there can be problems if you are a poor metabolizer of Tamoxifen, but, the doctor said she didn't see any clear evidence of that and wouldn't recommend the blood test.

Also, what about Herceptin alone? I've read that it works better with Chemo. Do we have evidence that it works by itself?

I know some of you on these boards have done the 9 week Herceptin option. My doctor wouldn't even discuss it. I know it's controversial so how did you get your doctors to okay it?

I am seeing another oncologist tomorrow. I'm interested to see if his approach is different.

Thanks again for all of your input and advice!!

musicmama