View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
BonnieR

Re: To treat or not to treat VERY early stage HER2 IDC

I identify with your situation. Read my stats. Very small tumors, thought to be mostly removed during biopsy. Had bilateral mastectomies. Then the decision looming of what to do next. I got 3 opinions, all different! One at City of Hope said I needed no further treatment. But that just did not feel right. Even if it was based on science! Another said to do the Herceptin and Taxol without Carboplatin. My onc reminded me that even though my cancer was small it was aggressive. I spoke with the ACS who said that my negative sentinal node was the only thing between me and chemo because otherwise TCH was indicated. I was really torn and vascilated for 2 months. I was somehow fearful of Herceptin too (don't ask me why). The bottom line is, I am a person who does alot of "woulda, coulda, shoulda" and second guessing my decisions. I would always be questioning myself. So for not entirely logical reasons, I chose the full enchilada. I felt like it was my first best chance to do everything I could, even if it was overkill. I also recall a social worker asking me "if this was a loved one, what would you want THEM to do?"
Anyway, the point is, you have do make the decision you can live with, based on the best advise you can get from various sources. I can only tell you how I came to making my choice.
As someone said earlier, the more info you gather, the more knowledge. And look for "signs" too. Things presenting themselves that give you moments of clarity. Trust the process.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote