View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
Sandra in GA

Re: Slow hair growth and lifting nails on Herceptin

Diane,
Herceptin does cause hair to just "sit there" and not grow. After I finished Taxol, my hair came back in, but it did not grow. My onc told me this was the norm. It started coming back in March and just the gray came in first. Slowly, the darker hair began to come in while I finished the Herceptin and Tykerb in Nov. Then, it really started growing. By March I was ready for a trim to get my gray "fringe" off. When it grew longer, I realized it was very curly and a completely different texture! Now, a year later, it is slowly returning to its natural straight and fine state.

I hope you do well with your treatment. I found hats, caps, and scarves to be more comfortable than a wig. But, everyone is different. I found a web site, headcovers.com, that offered caps and hats made especially for us.

Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote