View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
ammebarb

Re: What has cancer given you? The good and the bad?

What a good question, Laureen! It has been twenty seven years since my bc diagnosis, and the length of time since my diagnosis has given me lots of time to realize all that I've been given. I was soooo depressed for the first few years that I couldn't have come up with a positive....You are all so much better off if you've been able to get to where you know what the positives are. I realize now how much precious time I'd have wasted if I'd never gotten some perspective and began to LIVE. So first positive is, I think, not taking a single moment for granted. I appreciate quite ordinary things....being well enough to grocery shop, make order in my home, laugh with my husband. The extraordinary things include being here to love my grandchildren and to see my grown children find happiness in new marriages. I enjoyed thirty years of kindergarten teaching, with a dedication that came as a result of going through that time after bc diagnosis when I questioned my purpose. I guess when all is said and done, I think I am able to love and be loved more deeply than before cancer, and I know that my faith in my God is increased.

Barb A.
ammebarb is offline   Reply With Quote