View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
Jackie07

Re: CHAT - Plant-based olive oil diet (Mary Flynn Ph.D.)

Found some book reviews cited by Amazon:

From Publishers Weekly

Under the auspices of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation, Flynn, a research dietitian at the Miriam Hospital and assistant professor at Brown Medical School, studied the effects of a plant-based olive-oil diet ("PBOO") for overweight women who had undergone breast cancer treatment, compared to a low-fat diet recommended by the National Cancer Institute. Her conclusion--that the plant-based olive oil diet is both more effective and more satisfying--is the basis for this combination research/recipe book, penned with the help of Barr, a cookbook author formerly associated with Julia Child. The authors explain that the PBOO diet concentrates primarily on foods that women should eat in order to lower their risk of breast cancer or to ward off its recurrence, while omitting foods associated with risks; the focus on olive oil and veggies leads to improvement in blood lipids, blood sugar, and insulin, all biomarkers for breast cancer. Part II presents a 1,500-calorie diet that includes 150 simple, affordable, and enticing recipes, ranging from breakfasts, salads, and sandwiches to main courses and desserts. This user-friendly and preventive diet plan will benefit every woman concerned about breast cancer and health.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Review

Publishers Weekly, 8/16/10
“This user-friendly and preventive diet plan will benefit every woman concerned about breast cancer and health.”
Library Journal, 8/2/10
“[A] reasonable plan, even if you just want to maintain a healthy weight.”

Blogcritics.org, 9/15/10
“Offers breakfasts, side dishes, main dishes, and—best of all—desserts (including cranberry/almond biscotti)…Bottom Line: Would I buy The Pink Ribbon Diet? Yes, it is filled with recipes designed to satisfy the healthy Mediterranean in me.”

Infodad.com, 10/14/10
“[The Pink Ribbon Diet] offers some delicious dishes.”

January, October 2010
“An interesting—and surprisingly rationale—book…Authors Mary Flynn and Nancy Verde Barr’s guide to diet, weight loss and food is sane and approachable.”

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote