View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Debbie L.

Re: Help with chemo brain

Hi KirisMom,

There is a fair amount of research right now about "chemo brain" and conclusions run the gamut. Anywhere from "it's simply a normal reaction to the stress of a diagnosis and treatment and one recovers normal function quickly", to "permanent and ongoing damage is observable and measurable and we haven't found anything to do about it", to everything in between.

I participated in a chemobrain study at Stanford within the last year. They did baseline cognitive testing, including functional MRI studies (watching brain function while the subject is doing puzzles or quizzes, etc). One group then participated in brain exercises online while the other group did nothing different. Then a repeat of the cognitive testing/MRI to see if there's any difference.

I was in the control group but was invited to do the brain exercises after the study was completed. You can find the exercises at lumosity.com , where you can trial them for free. I am not sure that they have helped me but I like to think that they have, and most of them are fun. Some are a bit frustrating but I figure those are the ones I need the most.

The results of the study have not been reported yet, so stay tuned. I think it will turn out to be a mix of things, but I'm quite certain that for me personally, for whatever reason (cancer, chemo, AI), my ability to multi-task (working memory) changed significantly after treatment, and has remained altered these 9 years since. Basic memory is also an issue but that's easier to work around (writing things down, keeping lists, just admitting I don't remember). Oddly (to me), I do not feel that I'm less intelligent, nor less able to learn new things and reason things out. It's quite clearly limited to that multi-tasking. I'm realizing that I CAN do things that help with the problem, though -- like being rested, being emotionally and spiritually centered, being physically fit. All good things to strive for anyway.

I wouldn't worry about the cross-posting. But for those of us who don't keep up with bc.org, you'll have to tell us what you learn there about chemo brain, okay?
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote