View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
DeenaH

Re: I could really use some input

Jackie and Sandra - Thank you for your input.

Jackie - I am already on Herceptin, and have been since late June. The plan all along was to continue Herceptin through radiation. My Dr., however doesn't want to add Tykerb during radiation for safety reasons. I didn't question it since I didn't know what I know now at the time. That is very interesting about your take on the radiation.

Sandra - Do you know what toxicity Tykerb has? For some reason my dr. doesn't want me to take both Herceptin and Tykerb during radiation. I am also concerned that if I start radiation and then stop to do more treatment, will I be able to finish radiation at a later date? I guess that would be a question for my radiation oncologist. In fact I just made an appointment with her to see her right before I am supposed to start radiation to go over all of this. At that time I can decide whether to move forward or not.

If I decide to move forward with Tykerb right away, there is the problem of insurance approving it. Since it is approved for stage IV only, there is a chance it could be denied. And even if my dr. wins the battle with insurance, that will take time. I can try for the Emelia arm of the TDM-1 trial (Dr. Slamon's second recommendation) comparing it to Xeloda and Lapatinib, but again, getting into a trial takes time. The only thing I know I can get immediately is chemo. This limbo stuff is for the birds! I just want to have a plan and run with it.
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote