View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #26
Lani

Re: More Brain Mets - New Plan Thoughts?

Just returned from ASCO Breast conference--two pertinent articles/posters, one closer to available treatment (as drug already approved for other cancers) than the other-- on drugs which might prevent and/or treat already existing her2+ brain mets

Author on both (among others) was Patricia Steeg and she made a presentation as well--unfortunately she did not man the poster on pazopanib or I could have asked questions...

Also unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to find a USB card reader that could help me post the poster abstracts from the meeting. So here is a poor attempt

263 Brain mets occur in ~35% of metastatic breast cancer patients whhoose tumors overexpress HER2 and contribute significantly to patient morbidity and mortality. The contribution of angiogenesis to tumor growth and progression has been debated. We tested the newly approved anti-angiogenic drug pazopanib for prevention of brain metastatic colonization of breast cancer.

In this study they seeded her2+ brain mets, but they did not grow out into macro-mets or grew very feebly (in rodents)

They concluded: These experiments support a clinical trial for the treatment or prevention of her2+ brain metastases.

255 Effect of an LPA1 antagonist on metastasis in preclinical models of breast cancer progression.

Drug made by Debiopharm SA Lausanne Switzerland

Debio 0719 acts as a metastasis suppressor and induces dormancy in the metastatic site. As such, it represents a new class of potential therapeutics. Phase I trials are expected in 2011.

I know these signs of progress seem very distant, but trying to keep your armamentarium of info Up TO DATE up to the moment!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote