View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
VirginiaGirl

Re: Time Frame of Side Effects After First Chemo?

Hi Ginny,
It's hard to tell what causes what side effects since it's a ton of meds all at once and everyone really does respond differently. It looks like from your signature that this is your first go around with chemo. I'm doing TCH also, with herceptin every 3rd week instead of the standard herceptin weekly. This was my choice so I didn't have to come in to the office every week. Anyway, I start experiencing side effects on day 2, and I think it has a lot to do with the neulasta (white blood cell booster shot) shot the day after chemo and all the steroids. The first time I had the neulasta shots, I had a lot of bone aches/pains and chills (flu like symptoms). This time, it's more nauseau and fatique. Plus hot flashes, which I thought I was done with. As I've progressed through treatment without any allergic reactions, my onc has allowed me to cut back on the steroids (I hate steroids - bloating/weight gain and high blood sugar). The last time I cut them back even more than he'd said to, and coincidentally the nauseau was much more manageable this time. It takes a full week for the side effects to completely go away and then I get to feel normal for two weeks til the next time. I started losing my hair 2 1/2 weeks after the first treatment, then it really started falling out quickly after the 2nd treatment, so I went ahead and shaved it off/down. This is the third time I've lost my hair, the first time I let it fall out mostly on its own. This time I shaved it down right away once it started to fall out quickly. IMO, this is really the way to go. I've had herceptin many times, it's very tolerable, but I do remember when I first started taking it that I had some nosebleeds and headaches. And I swear herceptin makes my stomach seem puffier, but I can't confirm this. TCH is definitely not the easiest regimen I've done, but it seems to be working so far. Time will tell. Best of luck with it!
alternative chemo 5/05-7/05, rad 8/05-10/05
7/06 dx mets to vertebrae, pelvis & chest lymph nodes
8/06 - 10/06 tamoxifen, herceptin, oophorectomy & zometa
11/06 PET/CT showed continued bone mets, new spot on liver
12/06 began taxotere/herceptin 1x/3 weeks,
2/07 - 2-08 NED!
3/08 progression, start taxol/herceptin weekly, monthly zometa
8/08 start ai & herceptin
12/08 - progression, start weekly navelbine/herceptin thru 6/09 & monthly zometa
7/09 - PET/CT showed improvement in spine, but 2-3 lymph nodes in chest became active
9/09 - 11/09 - weekly abraxane/herceptin
12/09 - PET/CT - chest lymph nodes resolved, progression in spine & pelvis
2/10 - 6/10 - start tykerb/xeloda, progession in spine & pelvis
7/10 - start taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin

VirginiaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote