View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
caya

Re: struggling with my AI's(i hate them)

I have been on Femara since Jan. 1, 2010. My onc. switched me after being on Tamoxifen for 2 1/2 years as blood work showed I was now postmenopausal. The first few months were brutal - severe joint and muscular pain, swelling of feet, ankles, major fatigue... but I have fibromyalgia as well and the Femara seemed to only exacerbate the symptoms.

Howere, I do have to say, 9 months later, things have improved for a number of reasons:

- My GP, G-d bless her, put me on Meloxicam - 7.5 pill/day (this is an anti-inflammatory). She also increased my Vitamin D pill intake to 4500 U/day. I've also been taking a shot of Vitamin B12 once/month... all have helped. Not perfect, but much better.

- Also my onc. told me that it can take a number of months for the body to get used to the Femara, and that often the symptoms can "settle down." I would concur with that assessment, at least for me.

- I also take warm baths with epsom or dead sea salts 2 - 3 x/week. - Very soothing. I have very mild lymphedema in my right hand, so I don't soak too long (15 minutes).

I was highly ER + (90%) PR+(50%) - so I will suck it up and continue on the Femara, at least for now. In fact I have a couple of friends who are in a clinical trial taking Femara for years - going on 10 years - I will ask my onc. about that when I see him next week for my routine check up.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!

Last edited by caya; 09-15-2010 at 11:09 AM..
caya is offline   Reply With Quote