View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
imdavidson

Re: study being done on herceptin with no chemo/for elderly patients

Jean, this is very, very interesting, thank you for posting.

Alaska Angel, we had talked before about looking to see if there were any Herception-only trials for early-stage breast cancer. I spoke to the publicist at Genentech and she said that to her knowledge there has never been one.

As you know, there have been trials (and it's prescribed) as a single agent for treatment in patients with metastatic disease who have received one or more chemo regimens.

It's also prescribed for any HER2-positive breast cancer with doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide, and either paclitaxel or docetaxel; or with docetaxel and carboplatin (which is what I had); or as a single agent following anthracycline therapy.

When I asked her why Genentech hasn't studied the drug (as a single agent without chemo) in early-stage patients, she couldn't answer but said she would have one of their scientists call me to discuss further. I'll report back.
Co-author (with Dr. Dan Silverman at UCLA) of "Your Brain After Chemo: A Practical Guide to Lifting the Fog and Getting Back Your Focus" (Da Capo Lifelong Books, 2009). Amazon. www.YourBrainAfterChemo.com.

ER/PR negative/HER-2 positive
imdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote