View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
Nancy L

Re: update - what to do?

Pam

I found this information on the Komen site and you may find one of these resources helpful. Since the info was last updated in 2010, it should be current phone numbers, etc. I know this is a stressful time for you and I hope you can get the best treatment possible for this recurrence. You shouldn't have to also worry about the logistics of getting the right care. I hate this disease and all the human suffering it has brought to so many.

Hugs, Nancy

Transportation and Lodging Assistance

Transportation Assistance

Local Transportation

Some people living with cancer find it hard to get to and from their treatments. If you need local transportation assistance, the American Cancer Society has a program called "Road to Recovery”. For more information, call 800-ACS-2345 (800-227-2345) or visit their website at www.cancer.org.
CancerCare's AVONCares program also helps with transportation to and from treatment. Call CancerCare at 800-813-HOPE (800-813-4673) or visit their website at www.cancercare.org for details.
City, county and state agencies can also arrange for low-cost or free local transportation for people who are disabled. For more information about these services, contact your city, county or state transportation department. The social work and patient relations departments at your hospital may also have information on transportation programs.
Long-Distance Transportation

If you have to travel far from home to get treatment, there are several organizations that can help.
Air Charity Network
A group of similar organizations that offer air travel to people living with cancer and their caregivers.
(877) 621-7177
Corporate Angel Network
Uses empty seats on corporate aircraft to help people living with cancer reach treatment centers.
(866) 328-1313
Lifeline Pilots
Offers air travel to treatment centers for people living with cancer and their caregivers.
(800) 822-7972
Mercy Medical Airlift
Offers air travel to treatment centers for people living with cancer and their caregivers.
(800) 296-1217
National Patient Air Travel HELPLINE
(800) 296-1217
Raquel’s Wings for Life
(940) 627-1050
Lodging Assistance

If your hospital or treatment center is far from home, there may be times when you and/or your family need to find overnight lodging. Many hospitals and treatment centers can arrange a discounted rate at a nearby hotel or motel for you and/or your family. The American Cancer Society has a number of Hope Lodges that provide lodging for families during cancer treatments. To find out if there is a Hope Lodge near your hospital or treatment center, visit the American Cancer Society website or call 800-ACS-2345 (800-227-2345).
Updated 01/27/10
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote