View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
AlaskaAngel

Re: Metformin: Taking away the candy for cancer?

Last September in the nutrition forum I was interested in metformin also as a way of dealing with insulin resistance:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...10395#poststop

Other than breast cancer I have no other health problems, but what seems to be insulin resistance developed for me as a result of breast cancer treatment.

The two largest groups of breast cancer patients are the early stage breast cancer group, and the group over 50 years of age (mostly composed of the same patients). I've raised the question about whether applying current therapies for hormone receptor positive, early stage breast cancer patients who are least at risk for recurrence may actually be resulting in a greater net risk for recurrence through weight gain by insulin resistance.

It would be very helpful if metformin does have some general additional usefulness in preventing recurrence.

I saw an endocrinologist and asked about metformin in February, and the endocrinologist is willing to consider it. At present I am dieting and exercising and keeping a diary, and am planning to bring that information to my next appointment for further discussion about possible use of metformin.

I would like to have a better understanding of the action of metformin and metabolism.

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote