View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
AlaskaAngel

Re: now they are moving in on how/why of weight gain during chemotherapy 4 breast can

Steroids are known to be a weight gain factor for many. What hasn't been recognized is the intensity or degree of the problem the use of them promotes, that then can feed into recurrence by weight gain that is harder to manage.

The vast majority of breast cancer patients are older and menopausal, and when steroid use is piled on top of that, it isn't just a matter of conscientious exercise and dieting for this group. It includes more muscle loss, and greater muscle fatigue.

I really think they are wasting time and lives by not actively seeking to identify some kind of minimal support for this physiologic permanent change in our metabolism, such as carefully investigating whether or not some very low dose of a diabetic support drug ALONG WITH proper conscientious diet and exercise would help us.

But I think that first they need to admit that the problem is genuine. From what I can see on a personal basis, the problem is that one has to stay on a zero tolerance diet/exercise plan, which leaves NO room for any deviation at all -- no "time off" for any reason, whether for handling emergencies, dealing with economic factors, feeling ill, etc. And eventually we lose ground because real life won't let us.

Medical providers see a lot of people who truly don't make the effort in the first place. But the truth is that this problem is happening to a lot of the people in the group who do make a consicentious effort. We got here with the steroids and treatment and we need help with the result.

I have to add here that in my opinion, in effect they are patting themselves on the back for "saving lives" but they aren't realizing AND taking responsibility for the role the steroids can play in setting a number of us up to recur.

A.A.

Last edited by AlaskaAngel; 06-12-2010 at 12:19 PM..
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote