View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Jean

5 yrs. have past..

Hello to all,
April 14th I celebrated my 5yr cancerversery
I had hesitated to share my happy news in light of the
past few months -then I considered all the members who need to hear positive news.
I enjoyed the celebration with my husband, son and friends.
I want to share with the newly dx. that the first year is the hardest - learning you have bc, then gathering the information is exhausting - and on to treatment.

The following 2nd year it begins to become easier and the memory of chemo begins to fade.
Now after 5 yrs. I am living a happy normal life. Certainly not the same happy and normal life I lead pre-bc....but that is okay. The journey has taught me so much. For instance, I was in a farmers market and I noticed a woman who was wearing a silk scarf wrapped around her head with long flowing tails down her back.
It was obvious to me that she was in chemo treatment. She glanced at me and I smiled. She smiled back, we began chatting and I told her she looked beautiful in her scarf. She had tears in her eyes and I reached out to her and hugged her and she responded and whispered in my ear that she was having chemo trt for bc. I whispered back I understood. Since then she has completed chemo
and we have become good friends. This would never have occurred prior to my dx. I would not have had the courage to approach her.

I appreciate everything - everyday. I certainly don't let the small stuff bother me at all. (I have to admit) even the
larger stuff. After bc my attitude has changed and grown into a peaceful and flexible phase. My relationships have grown and my husband & I enjoy each day with more warmth and deeper love.

I am also thankful for all the wonderful friends I have made on the board. Your wisdom, kindness is a generous gift.
I thank Christine and Joe for their wisdom to create the Her2 support group. I cannot even begin to imagine life without it.

Warmly,
Jean

ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo