View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 04:29 AM   #20
Karen Wheel

Re: What does this site mean to you?

This site is really been a lifeline for me too! Since I live in Italy and I have the issues with understanding what the HECK the doctors are saying (little lone if they speak slowly enough and in the vocabulary for a 3 year old!) as I feel lost most of the time here. The therapy seems to be the same and the care seems to be good (don't have any comparison as I was never sick ... NEVER in the US), so for me its a great way to connect with real people (IN ENGLISH!) who are really walking in the same shoes as I am.

I found that here I felt very much isolated as having breast cancer is not the same as having breast cancer with a Her2 added stress. Many people would say to me comments like - I know lots of people who survive breast cancer.... blah, blah, blah .... making me feel stupid for being scared and lost. I wanted (and still want to) yell at these people and say - yah, well, did they get flipping HER2????? Even if I would say it - people wouldn't understand. Here on this site --- we all get it. We understand the fears, the gravity and the seriousness of fighting this nasty beast.

All the fears of this cancer coming back seem to be common in all of us - and the strength and overall positive and supportive nature of everyone here is priceless!

Thank you again - all you sisters - and brothers (like the wise Rich, Paul, Robert and the late great Mighty Oak) for all you do to take the time to read, write and support in your positive thoughts and deeds for all of us who are fighting this.

It is something I also try to read and contribute to every day I have internet access! Thank you again for making this site available for all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3-09 – Right Quadrantectomy. Clear margins.
3 lymph nodes taken - all clear
Tumor results: Stage 1, 1.5 cm, Her2 +++
Est positive 80% - Prog 10% - Ki67 postive 30%
4-09 – Became a vegan! pH balance of body - cancer can't grow in neutral pH!
4-09 Started Herceptin & Chemo (9 weeks of Navelbine *)
* FYI - when coupled with Herceptin has the same results as more toxic chemo. No brainer!
8-09 - 30 RADS
9-09 - Said NO to hormone therapy
4-10 Finished Herceptin!!!!

7-10 PET Scan & other exams .... All clear! YIPPEE!!!!
11-10 Breast, organ Ultrasounds and lung x-rays all clear no changes ... NED!

2-25-2011 --- 2 years from surgery and NED!!!!!!
7-2011 Clear bone scan and full body and head MRI! NED! NED! NED! ;-)[/SIZE]
Karen Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote