View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
karen z

Re: Ideas For Teleconferences

Another thought (but perhaps a subset of #1 above- see earlier post).

The cancer wellness program at my hospital does a very good job of helping patients with various needs (although I think a less good job of helping patients "further out" from treatment, who may need more support than those running our wellness program realize). The program here has a nutritionist on board, an exercise program one can join, and various support groups as well. In addition there seem to be several classes (and very popular ones I might add) on using a variety of behavioral approaches to reduce stress. For example, there are yoga classes, classes on meditation and mindfulness, classes on using art, writing and humor to work through issues, etc. So, it might be useful to have a teleconference (or a component of one) on using behavioral approaches to help current and former patients relax, reduce stress, work through issues in various ways and concentrate on what they now consider to be the most important things in life (and concentrate on being able to enjoy those things again). Behavioral approaches to insomnia could also be included, particularly as many behavioral approaches have been proven to be more effective than various meds for sleep problems.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote