View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
Carol.hope

Re: Insurance questions

Anita,
It sounds like you may have a "chemo brain injury," as I do. There are several studies showing that these severe cognitive deficits often last more than 10 years (in 15% or more of chemo patients). Recently I learned about the Job Accomodations Network:

Under the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), employers with 15 or more employees must make reasonable accommodations in the workplace for employees with disabilities. Accommodations are to be made through a confidential, collaborative process with the employee, and may be as simple as a flexible work schedule.

Part of the U.S. Department of Labor, the Office of Disability Employment Policy offers the Job Accommodation Network (JAN). JAN staff are available to discuss accommodation options, at (800) 526-7234. JAN fact sheets are produced by topic. A fact sheet on accommodations for people with cognitive impairment lists possible accommodations to help employees in:
  • Maintaining Concentration
  • Staying Organized and Meeting Deadlines
  • Handling Memory Deficits
  • Handling Problem Solving Deficits
  • Working Effectively with Supervisors
  • Handling Stress and Emotions
  • Handling Change
  • Maintaining Stamina During the Workday
If they can help you make your job bearable, you can keep your employer-based insurance. If you leave the job, they have to offer you insurance for 18 more months (under COBRA), at the price they set.

Social Security Disability is very challenging to get. They do not recognize chemo brain injury (yet - work for us to do!). Do NOT hire a national firm to help you. If you pursue this, hire someone (attorney who specializes in this) who can see you and believes what you say about your life. It can take two years. You can file now and start the process, but it takes a lot of energy. The disability payments are not enough to live on. Medicare is not available until you've been officially disabled for 2 years.

Anyone could sign on to Medicare (or a similar org) if this option gets passed by Congress. The vote is soon and people are saying enough Senators and Representatives are willing to vote for it, if it's in the bill that gets voted on. I just got a notice to call Nancy Pelosi to tell her we want her to do this (put the public option in the bill about to be voted on).

For anyone who wants all sisters and brothers to have access to reasonably-priced medical insurance, here's the number to call: Speaker Nancy Pelosi: (202) 225-4965.

Unfortunately, I have lots of experience with insurance issues, so feel free to email me your questions, either in the thread or privately.

Also I have been studying chemo brain injury and have lots of info about that.

Best wishes.

- Carol

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote