View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Lori R

Re: Taxotere/Herceptin for Bone Mets?????

Suzanne,
I was on taxotere and had the "nail issues".

I don't recall the specifics as to exactly why, but the nails begin to lift a little off the nail bed and can get infected.

So, keep your nails short. This became difficult as my nails became tender and difficult to clip.

I've "heard" (so someone else chime in here), that the nurses have been encouraging patients to keep their hands in ice water to restrict the amount of chemo getting to the finger tips. I didn't do this as they were't recommending it a couple of years ago. I figure, why not?

Another item the nurses gave me which didn't seem to work for me was to soak your nails in a mild solution of bleach and water. I did get a finger nail infection after my LAST chemo and found that peroxide was more effective than the bleach. Just dab a little on a q-tip and swab it under the nail and around the sides. But....as with everything please check with your onc. I think it is ok to do this.

My nails were ugly as they appeared bruised. I painted them with nail polish and that made me feel mentally better.

Finally.....my nails returned, nothing wrong with them now. So....don't fret, even if they look strange it won't be forever, they will return.

Hang in there!!!! PLEASE.....post any questions, no matter how small. There is so much experience on this board.
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote