Thread: Port In
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
ammebarb

Re: Port In

Goog morning, Dawn. I'm glad your port is now in place and you are that much more ready to do battle. It's been a long, long time since my cancer diagnosis, but your concerns about helping your children deal with it struck home when I read your post. I recall so vividly that my first reaction was about how to tell my children. They were eight and eleven at the time. I spoke with the hospital's social worker, who helped me to confirm my feeling about how much to tell and how. You are so right when you say there is no one "right" thing. We tried to be honest, but to tell only what we thought they were capable of understanding. If you are at all concerned about how they are accepting your diagnosis, school counselors or private ones could undoubtedly help.

I hope that your port makes your infusions easier and that it gives you no difficulty. I never had one, but my sister has one right now. Back when I did my chemo, it was all needle sticks and while I don't usually don't mind them, there were times when I'd have loved another way!

My best to you....Keep your chin up....that's one of the toughest parts....Wish our good wishes could magically bouy you!

Gentle hugs,
Barb A.
ammebarb is offline   Reply With Quote