View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
WolverineFan

Re: Implant - What to choose?

Kris...

I had a single mastectomy and went with the saline implant based upon my plastic surgeon's advise. He said he could better match the other breast with a saline because the amount of saline in it can be adjusted in smaller increments than the silicone. He said that had I had a double, he would have recommended the silicone. Crazy thing is my body rejected the saline (he thinks a drain tube when they swapped out the expander with the implant may have helped), so on the 18th, I'm going back in to swap the saline with the silicone. He's putting a drain tube in this time, so I hope that does the trick!! You might want to talk to your dr about that (the need for a drain tube). My understanding is that it isn't normally needed when the implant goes in, but I had it for five weeks when I had my mastectomy, so depending on how your body handled fluid may be a deciding factor.

Good luck!

3/35/2009 - Diagnosed, age 39
5/7/09 - Mastectomy and reconstruction started. Two tumors found. Tumors were side by side. DCIS tumor was 2.8 cm, ER-, PR-, grade 2. Invasive tumor was 1.1 cm, poorly differentiated, grade 3, ER+90%, PR+95%, HER2+3. Thankfully, no node involvement.
5/29/09 - Second surgery resulting from difficulty healing from mastectomy.
6/2/09 - Began Herceptin treatments
6/23/09 - Began Taxotere and Carboplatin treatments along with Herception every 3 weeks.
10/06/09 - Completed Taxotere and Carboplatin - Yeah!!!
10/27/2009 - Herceptin maintenance and began Femara
12/10/2009 - 2nd stage reconstruction surgery
2/2010 - Body rejected saline implant
3/18/2010 - Second stage reconstruction using silicone implant
5/4/10 - Completed Herceptin - YEE-HAA!
May '10 - Body rejects silicone implant...taking a break.
11/29/10 - Hysterectomy
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote