View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
vlcarr

Re: Pink Wishes Quilt

Hey Valerie,

Thanks for letting me know we are on the same track, so to speak. I know radiation will not be as bad as chemo, but I have to admit I cried all over again (not that I've only cried once) after meeting with the radiation oncologist.

She told me I will be having 3 sided rads which means from the left, directly on my scar and then on the right. She did say the one on the scar would not be as intense as the other two. She also said in my case they want to see a burn. So much for avoiding that. She then went on to say I would lose 15 to 20% of my lung function. I guess I just wasn't prepared for all of that.....

I understand about the arm going numb. I had to laugh at myself when I went last week for the markers. It took about 45 mins and I had my right arm in the thing behind my head and I have to turn my neck to the left the entire time. Well of course, the left side is my bad arm and turning left made me neck flare up. I had neck surgery last year right before I found out I had bc.

By the time I got home both of my hands were numb and my neck was hurting. But, at least I had a sense of humor by then.

I know I've gotten off track on this post, but if anyone has had rads like I'm going to have I would love any suggestions and to know what your experience was like.

Chelee and Barb,

Thank you for the well wishes.

Valerie,

Good to know I have a radiation buddy. I wish you the best with yours too--you sound like you are doing great. I'm back on track doing my lymphedema prevention exercises and have started walking longer with the dogs.

The lymp therapist suggested I wear a compression sleeve during the actual treatment. I've been fitted and am waiting on that to come in.

BC-the gift that keeps on giving.......

Thank you all again for your words of encouragement.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote