View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
Becky

Re: how fast will hair go on Taxol

I have a dear neighbor who I cook for who was diagnosed with Stage 4 ovarian cancer in July 2008. She was on Taxol/Carboplatin and went NED. Unfortunately, her cancer returned in December 2009, she started back on Taxol and Carbo since it worked the first time (and seems to be working again). She said that the first time, it took months to really lose her hair enough to shave it all off but this time, she pretty much lost it all before her second treatment (every 3 weeks). So... she asked her oncologist why and her onc told her that the hair loss rate is dependent on how many hairs are in the growing phase versus the dormant phase. If alot of your hairs are in the growing phase, you will lose your hair quicker.

This really seems to make sense to me but of course, this doesn't answer your question at all. I guess that may be the reason some of us lose our hair quickly and others not so quick. Therefore, hair loss may be different everytime we have to go under treatment again.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote