View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
Jackie07

Re: Cancer Treatments and employment issues

Darlene,

Thanks for the information. I've not heard from the court about my disability claim yet. There could be a problem because I've been collecting unemployment benefit which might be a conflict to 'disability' claim, according to my attorney after the hearing. But I am getting (just called and confirmed that it's going through) a six months health insurance extension through the 'Stimulus package' deal. After that, I will qualify for Texas Risk Pool.

But I am going to check into the 11 months deal that you have mentioned. Hopefully I'll get approved for my disability status soon.

I remember back in mid 90's when I first walked into the Texas Rehabilitation Counselor's office. After he had asked me "how can I help you?", his next question put me to tears: "What is your disability?" He's my counselor, he 'should have' read my file. And if he didn't know what my disability was, how was I to explain to others about my problems... The thoughts sent me to an uncontrollable sobbing [which had surprised me because I thought I had shed enough tears while in line at the unemployment office a couple of years before already.]

In the early 2000's, after my first breast cancer treatment (had been 'let go' a year after my Gamma-knife for recurring brain tumor[s],) TRC did sponsor me for the teacher training program (Texas Workforce Center paid for the tuition and fees, TRC gave me a small gas stipend while hubby served as my unpaid driver) This time, after they gave me a psychological assessment (including IQ test), they haven't done anything yet (perhaps they knew about my disability application.)

It's going to be 20 years this summer since my 23-hour brain (tumor) surgery. I'm very thankful to be alive and functioning quite well. Never thought breast cancer would give me so much trouble - didn't realize that chemotherapy would affect my cognitive function more than the two brain surgeries I'd had.

But I'm a veteran fighter. And I will continue the fight. The late Father Robert Ronald had stated in his lecutres that "the life of a disabled person is even more meaningful than the life of a non-disabled person." I thank God that I had met him (in an English conversation class) and learned so much from him before I came to the States and before all of my ordeals.

He's the happiest, most humorous and pleasant person I've ever met. After he contracted polio in Taiwan, he went back to the States for treatment and rehabilitation. He then got a degree in rehabilitation from U of Arizona and returned to Taiwan to work as a vocational rehabilitation consultant in the VA Hospital. He continued to work with that radiant smile even after one of his legs had to be amputated knee down because of a car accident.

He called them the two gifts he'd got from Taiwan...

I'm calling my brain surgeries and breast cancer treatments my two blessings from the U.S...

Maybe I'll get a certification somewhere so I can teach Chinese. It's kind of a hot field right now because many high schools and colleges are looking for qualified teachers... It is my Mother tongue and I have a Chinese Literature 'minor' from National Taiwan University...

Never, never, never give up... (Winston Churchill?)

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-11-2010 at 03:33 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote