View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Becky

Re: Cysts on ovaries

Hi

This happened to me too (although I just had 2 cysts on the left ovary only). They looked odd on ultrasound too but that ended up being because I was supposed to probably ovulate but didn't due to chemo, treatment, Taxoxifen (at that time) etc. So these cysts imploded and filled with blood and looked funny. Anyway, at the time I was 46 and really wanted my ovaries out so I could take Arimidex instead of Tamoxifen (because I am only ER+ and not PR and Tamoxifen usually doesn't work so well in that situation) and I did get them out. However, I was older than you are now and I was hormone positive which you are not.

I would definitely follow up but I think its just a "wanna be" ovulation and you still are in treatment and sometimes those poor wanna bes just don't know what to do so they just hang there (do I burst and ovulate or do I not). When you do follow up, make sure that if they are still there, they ultrasound you again in a few weeks. I guarantee they won't be there then I bet.

When you are told to "follow up" it always brings the fear of God into you. And remember that your onc already called them cysts (I think this is more common than anyone thinks when having been on or are currently on chemo and is only discovered because of testing of some sort. Mine were discovered because of a routine uterine ultrasound to measure baseline endometrium lining. I had just started Tamoxifen and Tamoxifen has a side effect of thickening the lining (and perhaps cause uterine cancer)...) So it goes.

Have a wonderful weekend and think about us in the Mid Altantic States. We are supposed to get 1-2 ft of snow.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote