View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
Becky

Re: Dendric cell vaccine for breast cancer

I have never really been a proponent of vaccines (as they are now) for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the trials are always set up for those that are HLA+ (having a certain genetic immunity make up) and the HLA neg people are the controls. This inherently sets up the data to seem more positive than it is since HLA+ people respond better to the regime (even though the response rate is less than a third anyway). So the data is sequed from the get go. Second, of course there is always a target so the immune system makes antibodies that will kill the cancer cells. So, in my example, we will use Her2 (as there are many vaccine trials that target that anyway). But Her2 receptors are a natural part of cells and are abundant in the heart (there just is too many of them in our bc). So, you make antibodies against Her2 and destory your heart too? Could happen. I want a vaccine that targets something cancer cells have that normal cells do not. And that gets to the heart of the matter. Your cancer cells are you. They are different but they were made by you. This is why the immune system or the immune system enhanced by a vaccine does not do a good job against the cancer. We all have some components in the immune system that cause us not to attack ourselves (although there are diseases in which we do such as lupus, MS etc - auto immune diseases) and this actually protects the cancer. I think we have alot to learn - maybe from autoimmune diseases itself, to design a vaccine that will trick certain Bcell components and actually attack just the cancer and do it well. I think it will come but it will take awhile.

The main point is that cancer is self - our horrible Mr. Hyde to our normal Dr. Jekyll.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote