View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
margiermc

Re: How do you feel during the holidays?

this is how i feel during the holidays - thank you, I am Alive!

I do not feel guilty at all for surviving. Being a bc survivor is an inspiration - not, something to feel bad about, if you do go outside look at a beautiful tree, sky, bird, nature - it's calming, good for the soul.

Last year I was on chemo for every holiday. Started 11/01/08 and ended 01/23/09.

I look at my family and say, I need to be here for them.

This holiday will be the same as the other's, I worked, I'm a teacher, today (Wed) I am volunteering at the local soup kitchen with feeding the homeless. We have families with children homeless, living in the woods, our community did an outreach program to feed the homeless, I'm blessed with a home, and want to help other's who don't have one, after all living in the woods, with a couple of kids is not something I'm familiar with, but must be a tough life.

The next day, Thanksgiving, I am cooking dinner and eating with my two kids, husband, mother, sister, and brother inlaw.

On tv, I will have on Fox News 4pm ESt, Kaliedoscope will be on with Olivia Newton John, Dorothy Hammil, Scott Hamilton, Peggy Flemming, and other cancer survivors, skating, singing and them celebrating Life as a cancer survivor.

On Friday, we will go to a tree lighting ceremony in downtown Tampa, beautiful victorian village, carolers, horse and buggy, hot chocolate, everyone singing, and the tree lighting. And, we get to bring our dog - they dress the dogs up to the like they are having a night out of the town. Then we drive around the Tampa bay, the scenery of mansions on the water is absolutely georgeous.

We always go to this tree lighting with our son's girlfriend's family, yes all 6 of them 5 of us pile up in a the car's, and enjoy our annual night out after thanksgiving. It is our tradition for over 6 years.
And, my best friend (my son's girlfriend's mom) mom is Muslim, so I went to her feast in October, so she shares my tradition with my family- we are very close, and different religion, Im' catholic, she is muslim, but always there for one another and share holidays together.

I will not think about bc - I'm taking a bc daycation and celebrating life with my 89 year old mother, 18 yr daughter, 19 yr son and husband.

Don't be stressing over your blessings, Count them, they are all there.

At my husband's job - a secretary dropped down, dead at age 61.
They were in shock, this happened two weeks ago. She was healthy, walker/jogger, eating healthy, in shape, worked full time, very active, no diseases, she felt tired after walking with a friend, went home, laid down, never woke up.

We are here ladies, chatting on this computer - stand up, smile, get some positive energy, if there is any and say, thank you for this day.

Happy Holidays to all,
margie from sunny florida (raining today)
margiermc is offline   Reply With Quote