View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #14
Laurel

Re: Does Anyone Know Why We Are No Longer to Do Self Exams?

In Pennsylvania for many years we had a mandatory helmet law where all motorcyclists had to ride with a helmet meeting safety standards defined in the law. A few years ago the law was rescinded. All those many years the law was in place politicians, actuaries, trauma docs, etc. defended vociferously the law citing studies showing how lives were saved by less severe head trauma. To be fair many bikers resented the intrusion on their liberties and fought the helmet law tooth and nail. Then, with a new administration, a sudden reversal and "new" data indicating riding sans helmet was just a dandy thing to do, at your own peril, mind you, but just a dandy thing to do as far as the State was concerned. Of course those who work the life flights, E.R.s, and trauma centers knew the real reason the law was pulled. It is much cheaper for head trauma patients to die than to live, often with severe and permanent deficits. The acute care required can occupy months before the patient continues on to extensive rehab. The costs are staggering.

Nope, better dead than a drain...at least in Pennsylvania.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote