View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #28
Audrey

Re: How did you discover your cancer?

I noticed a bloody nipple discharge at age 36. Went to my gyn. and he assured me it was probably nothing but referred me to a breast surgeon just to be safe. I had a mammogram and ultrasound, both FOUND NOTHING due to my dense breasts. They gave me some cream to put on my "rash"--after no improvement, I again saw the breast surgeon who finally performed a biopsy. I was diagnosed with Paget's disease, stage 0, and underwent a mastectomy. I thought I was cured at that point, but then found out on my pathologist's report that I actually had Stage III invasive cancer with a 15 cm tumor! Yes, that's right, a 15 cm tumor that was not picked up on mammography or ultrasound. I ultimately had a mastectomy on the remaining breast because I had absolutly no confidence in mammograms catching another recurrence. Fortunately, I am still here doing well 8 years later (thanks to Herceptin)(and God), but I honestly don't know what to think about these new guidelines...For the record, I could not feel a "lump" myself, either, I guess because the tumor was so big and directly behind the nipple??? Anyway, I always advise people to ask for the biopsy, especially if you're under 40 and they tell you "it's nothing"!

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote